If you have pallets in excess and you must get rid of pallets you have a few different choices. Some of the ways to dispose of wood pallets are better than other ways.
Learning how to dispose of wood pallets properly is important. This article will explore different ways to dispose of wood pallets and help you to gather the information that you need to make the right decisions about pallets disposal!
Learning where to get rid of pallets will help you to clean up your warehouse, improve your business image and improve productivity. Consider it an important maintenance step for your business.
Benefits of Disposing of Unwanted Pallets the Right Way
The fact is space is always at a premium for every warehouse and business, no matter how large or small the space is.
Unserviceable pallets take up needed space and make your business start to look like a wooden pallet scrap yard but that is not the only reason getting rid of unwanted pallets is important. Figuring out what to do with your scrap wooden pallets can help:
- Reduce the clutter
- Improve productivity
- Free up some space
- Prevent injuries
A cluttered space is a dangerous space! Pallets that are left lying around can quickly become a work place hazard and can be the catalyst for injury. Busy workers passing by stacked unserviceable pallets can trip over them, bump into them and wind up on the injured worker list.
Workers that must stop what they are doing to move around unserviceable pallets are taking time away from other activities that affect their productivity. A clean, clear space that is free of clutter makes working easier for everyone.
What would you do with the extra space? Imagine if you did not have to dedicate any space to unwanted pallets. When you set up a program that regularly disposes of wood pallets at your convenience you are taking control of managing your space and freeing it up to work harder for you.
Ultimately keeping pallets around that you are no longer using is just a bad idea all around. They can attract vermin, they can be a danger to employees, and they can just make the workplace a mess. scrap wooden pallets have no place in the workplace!
Your Options for Disposing of Wooden Pallets
Pallet disposal can be a savings for your enterprise if you manage it right. You can take some cues from other businesses that have mastered disposing of wooden pallets.
This guide is going to review some of your options and the benefit of each option starting with “where to recycle wood pallets”.
Learning “where can I recycle pallets” is one of the best options for wooden pallet disposal. Wood pallets are completely recyclable in several different ways, here are some examples:
- Many manufacturers offer return programs, where you can return used pallets to earn credits for new pallets or even have them refurbish old pallets and return them to you for a small fee. A return program is a great way to increase the life expectancy of a pallet, keep it out of the landfill and of course, save on costs.
- Sell used pallets to a pallet recycling company. You can get a small return on your initial investment by selling used pallets that are out of commission to a third-party vendor that will make necessary repairs and sell them to other companies. This is a great way to get rid of pallets that are piling up and keeping them out of the landfill.
- Sell them to scrap pallet buyers! Just because a pallet is no longer viable for your business it does not mean that it does not have value. There are companies that will buy your “scrap pallets” for the wood.
- Some communities have designated spaces where to recycle wooden pallets.
Other options for recycling wooden pallets include giving them away to a pallet removal company. While this option does not put any money back into your pockets it will get rid of unwanted pallets.
Benefits of Recycling Options
There are literally billions of pallets in circulation at any given time and unfortunately many of those that are in circulation wind up in a landfill somewhere long before their usefulness has expired.
Keeping pallets out of the landfill is vital to the environment and to your business reputation.
There are clear benefits to recycling pallets including:
- Cost savings
- Reducing your businesses carbon footprint
- Getting more value for your investment
It can save your business quite a bit of money if you recycle your unwanted pallets. Typically, with a few repairs your pallets can go right back into the supply chain and deliver years more of service.
Even if you decide that “new” is the way for your business to go, finding a program that offers recycled pallets to other businesses not only helps the environment but also helps other small businesses that may not be able to afford new pallets.
Value through recycling can be realized through cost cutting and of course the reduction in the effects that your business has on the environment. When you recycle wood pallets everyone wins!
Other Pallet Removal Options
Pallets are a very popular for repurposing. One way to get rid of unwanted pallets is to give them away. There are a lot of people out there that would really appreciate a free pallet or a bunch of free pallets. Giving pallets away are a great way to recycle pallets.
Placing an ad or spreading the word in other ways about free pallets will certainly get rid of your wood pallets. Of course, you do want to be sure that you get a release signed to protect your business from any potential liability.
You are not likely to get rid of stacks of pallets this way, but you will certainly get rid of some pallets this way and of course, you will also endear your company to the recipients of the pallets. It could be a win-win situation for your business.
With a little ingenuity your business may be able to repurpose all those old pallets for your own purposes. Think outside the box and repurpose pallets for your business.
Brokers Can Help
If you really do not want to deal with having to get rid of pallets on your own, there are brokers that can handle all the transactions for you. The right broker will make all the arrangements for you and you will not have to worry about dealing with them anymore.
If a broker is not something you are interested in, then look for a small business that buys and resells pallets. There are some ingenious business owners that deal with used pallets that would be even willing to pay you for your used pallets. The benefits here include:
- Getting a small payment for something that you are not using anyway
- Helping a small business owner get the inventory that they need for their business
- Getting rid of the pallets that you can no longer use in a “reuse” friendly way
While selling used pallets to a broker or to another small business will not drive your revenue up by much, it will raise some funds that can be applied to buying new pallets. The added benefits of course, are that you get rid of those pallets while helping another business.
Additionally, it requires very little effort and manpower on your part. Basically, all you must do is point out the pallets to the broker or business owner, they handle the pallet removal and you get your space back!
There is one final option for disposing of wood pallets. It is the absolute worst way for used pallet disposal, which is why it has been left for last. Throwing away old pallets is the worst way to dispose of pallets because:
- Its costs you money to dispose of them
- They fill up the landfills
- It is a shame to throw away something that can still be used
The cost of waste management has skyrocketed over the last few years with good reason. Waste removal, including pallet removal by a waste company is froth with regulations that the company must follow.
Waste removal companies have their own overhead that they must deal with and labor costs in addition to following the strict regulatory requirements of the local municipality. That cost is passed on to your business.
Paying a waste removal company to take pallets off your hands, is simply a waste of money when you have other options, not to mention the effect it has on the environment.
Why pay someone to haul off your pallets when you could be getting paid or earning credit for them? It is certainly not the best business decision to pay out money when you do not have to!
While environmental impact should be the main deterrent from simply throwing pallets out, keep in mind that your business reputation is also on the line.
Consumers are very focused on “carbon footprints” when it comes to businesses. Savvy consumers are looking up and down the supply chain for environmental responsibility. If your business is careless with waste including packaging, pallets and other shipping and storage products, consumers will notice and will consider it a negative reflection on your business.
While, throwing pallets away, may seem like the easy way out, it can get costly for your business, not only in actual dollars but in the mark that it leaves on your business’s reputation.
Ultimately, pallets, even the less than serviceable one’s still have a future, whether that future is being repaired and reused or that future is to be repurposed, there is rarely a need to throw them away.
Please consider all the other options before you make the decision to simply discard them.
Planning for the Future
If you are searching for ways to dispose of pallets now, that means that you likely will need a plan in place for dealing with them in the future as well. Now is the time to start a program in your organization to deal with unwanted pallets so that you do not have to worry about them piling up in the first place. Here are some ideas:
- Talk to your pallet source and ask what type of program they have in place for unwanted pallets. If they do have a “return” program in place, ask about how your business can get involved. If they do not have a program in place, talk to them about starting one. You can be a pioneer and help yourself while you are helping other businesses with similar concerns.
- Connect with a broker or a small pallet recycling business. Before the pallets start to pile up again, connect with a broker or a small pallet business and plan for pallet removal when you get to a certain number of unwanted pallets. Putting a plan in place will help you to keep things under control.
- If you cannot find a pallet recycling business or a broker in your area, consider meeting with other business owners and starting a recycling program of your own. This will be the most time-consuming way to get your pallet problem under control but can do a great deal of good for the business community.
Getting your pallet problem in check is easy when you realize the number of options there are for wooden pallet removal. What is scrap wooden pallets to you can be exactly what another business needs to get on their feet!
Think Outside the Box
There are plenty of ways to discard pallets, depending on your business’s location, you may have the business that gets innovative about pallet removal and think outside the box to come up with your own unique recycling plan but in the end, it is worth the little bit of extra work.
Pallets are meant to be recycled, reused and repurposed, make sure you let your unwanted pallets fulfill their purpose.